The Milwaukee Jazz Vision is dedicated to advancing the development and growth of the JAZZ COMMUNITY in Milwaukee, WI. The MJV is responsible for the biannual Eastside Jazzfest. The festival is a one day concert featuring Milwaukee-based jazz acts and national/international acts with ties to Milwaukee. The MJV will also provide an outlet for Milwaukee based musicians to promote their performances and/or the sales of their recordings, ultimately facilitating the growth and development of the Milwaukee Jazz Community at large.
MILWAUKEE JAZZ VISION MISSION STATEMENT
The Milwaukee Jazz Vision will...
- Contribute to the community's cultural landscape by increasing visibility and appreciation for this significant part of Milwaukee's heritage, through performance, publication, and promotion.
- Encourage ethnic, gender and age diversity by supporting many types of jazz-related community activities.
- Increase jazz awareness through the inclusion and support of school jazz education programs both public and private.
- Create opportunities for local jazz artists and increase support of the art form from the public and private sector.
MILWAUKEE JAZZ VISION STRATEGIC PLAN
FACET #1: EASTSIDE JAZZFEST
The EASTSIDE JAZZFEST was organized by four veteran Milwaukee musicians who saw a definite need for Milwaukee’s jazz scene to be recognized apart from other music festivals in the region. Neil Davis, Jamie Breiwick, Steve Peplin and Kevin Hayden organized the festival in order to showcase the unique sound and talent of Milwaukee’s jazz scene.
On Saturday, July 17th, 2010 the first ever EASTSIDE JAZZFEST was held at the MIRAMAR THEATRE 2844 N. Oakland Ave. Seven groups took the stage to display what veteran and emerging jazz talent Milwaukee has to offer. The success of the first event has led its organizers to continue the EASTSIDE JAZZFEST on an ongoing basis. The organization has gone on to hold four major events at various venues around the city.
- NORTH COAST BREWING CO.
- 88NINE RADIO MILWAUKEE
- SWEET WATER ORGANICS
- THE JAZZ ESTATE
- BRASS BELL MUSIC
- MARLO INC.
- CASCIO INTERSTATE MUSIC
- 88NINE RADIO MILWAUKEE
- SHEPHERD EXPRESS
- DAN NIMMER TRIO
- BRIAN LYNCH QUARTET
- MANTY ELLIS
- DAN TRUDELL & the WHO'S YOUR DADDY TRIO
- DAVID HAZELTINE TRIO
- RUSS JOHNSON QUARTET
- TEN MILLION feat. JASON TODD & VINCENT DAVIS
- GEORGE BRAITH QUARTET
- MILWAUKEE YOUTH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA JAZZ STUDIES COMBOS
- WISCONSIN CONSERVATORY of MUSIC JAZZ INSTITUTE STUDENT COMBOS
FACET #2: JAZZ EDUCATION
The Milwaukee Jazz Vision plans to provide financial assistance to talented students pursuing studies in the discipline of jazz, as well as the organizations that provide them. Money will to be generated from donations and profits garnered from the EASTSIDE JAZZFEST.
MILWAUKEE EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS PROVIDING JAZZ STUDIES PROGRAMS:
- UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MILWAUKEE
- THE WISCONSIN CONSERVATORY OF MUSIC
- MILWAUKEE YOUTH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA – JAZZ STUDIES
- MILWAUKEE AREA TECHNICAL COLLEGE
FACET #3: BUILDING A JAZZ COMMUNITY
The MILWAUKEE JAZZ VISION plans to build and promote the jazz scene in Milwaukee through the following means:
In place now:
- The MILWAUKEE JAZZ VISION WEBSITE: www.milwaukeejazzvision.org
- The MILWAUKEE JAZZ FACEBOOK PAGE: www.facebook.com/mkejazzvision
- The MILWAUKEE JAZZ TWITTER PAGE: www.twitter.com/milwaukeejazz (@milwaukeejazz)
- The MILWAUKEE JAZZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/milwaukeejazzvision
- GROWTH OF NON-TRADITIONAL CONCERT VENUES (THE JAZZ GALLERY, SWEET WATER ORGANICS)
- CREATE and PROMOTE TIERED JAM SESSION culture
- ANNOTATED HISTORY OF MILWAUKEE JAZZ
- VIDEO TAPED INTERVIEWS of MILWAUKEE JAZZ ELDERS Documentation on Youtube, Milwaukee Jazz Blog, other websites
- INCREASED ATTENDANCE at JAZZ RELATED PERFORMANCES
- INCREASED BOOKING of name jazz acts
- INCREASED PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITIES for local jazz musicians
- INCREASED COMMUNICATION TO SCHOOLS/BAND DIRECTORS/STUDENTS in the community regarding all jazz-related events.
- INCREASED COMMUNICATION TO REGIONAL and NATIONAL MEDIA regarding all jazz-related events.